Jeffrey S. Kwong (鄺世傑) represents Chapter 11 debtors, unsecured creditor committees, secured and unsecured creditors, and parties in bankruptcy litigation and appeals from a variety of industries, including hotels and hospitality, lending and banking, commercial real estate, restaurants, retail, and healthcare. Mr. Kwong’s prior Chapter 11 debtor engagements include Cornerstone Apparel, Inc., Anna’s Linens, Tala Jewelers, Inc., and Green Fleet Systems, LLC. Further, he has represented commercial landlords in some of the largest retail bankruptcy cases filed across the country in recent years.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Kwong served for two years as law clerk to the Honorable Deborah J. Saltzman, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the Central District of California. Mr. Kwong obtained his J.D. in 2012 from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, where he served as an editor for the Berkeley Journal of International Law and a Senior Articles Editor for the Asian American Law Journal. He received his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from the University of California, San Diego.
Mr. Kwong is a board member of the Asian Pacific CPA Association, a legal advisor to the Soo Yuen Fraternal Association of Southern California, a member of the executive committee of the bankruptcy section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, a member of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, and a member of the Turnaround Management Association. He also is a member of the Board of Governors of the Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association (SCCLA), for which he serves on its Legal Clinic and Networking Committees.
- Recognized in 2021 by the American Bankruptcy Institute as one of the “40 Under 40,” Emerging Leaders in Insolvency Practice
- Selected in 2020 as one of 40 “up-and-coming bankruptcy practitioners” to attend the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges’ NextGen program
- “End Of A Corporate Cycle: Difficult Decisions And Options For Businesses In Financial Distress,” Asian Pacific CPA Association, Annual Symposium (2021)
- “Bankruptcy And Alternatives For Businesses During The COVID-19 Era,” Asian Pacific CPA Association, Annual Symposium (2020)
- “Bumps on the Yellow Brick Road: Entertainment and Intellectual Property Issues in Bankruptcy,” Beverly Hills Bar Association, Luncheon Program (2015)
- “Transitioning to Private Practice,” U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Law Clerk Training (2015)
- “Chambers Survival Tips,” U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Law Clerk Training (2013-2014)